Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Side note!


Remember how  I said we went and saw Les Mis? Well... I had to write a review about it for a class. Thought I would share my feelings here too.  Enjoy!

After a little searching on the Internet I found a few interesting facts about this movie everyone has ranted and raved about for months. The story of Les Mis starts in 1815 during the French revolution. During this time money was very hard to find and many members of the lower and middle class were out raged. This particular musical has be done and redone hundreds of times all over. I myself grew up listening to my mother sing in the random appearances she would make of Fantine all around Idaho in the various Les Mis productions.  Even though this movie has brought in over a million dollars at the box office, I feel it was not something I would ever care to see again.
There were many reasons I, myself didn’t enjoy the movie. But, the main one was I thought that the music was nothing compared to what I grew up listening to. I felt that Hathaway botched “I dreamed a dream” and that Russell Crowe had a surprisingly good voice, but not what I had hoped for. But on the contrary I did feel that Samantha Barks and Amanda Seyfried did a wonderful job. They were strong in their roles and their voices matched exactly to what I imagined.
I have never seen this musical live and I can’t decide if I want to or not. Like I said, I love the music but hated most everything else about it. A few parts even made me laugh is awe of how awkward and weird the scene really was. The “whore house” (not knowing what to really call it) was so weird that my jaw dropped and I constantly went from looking at the screen to my husband to see if he was seeing the same thing I was. The scene with Santa? Really? Was that needed? What the heck?
There was a few scenes that I did fell were extremely strong and for the split 5 seconds, actually enjoyed the show.  The opening scene sent chills down my spine. And I loved the scene where the boys were in the firefight and the youngest boy was shot and killed. So, there were a few good things I can say about the production but not many.
In the end, we walked out of the theater, my dad asked what we thought, and when I said: “that was the dumbest movie of all time” my family became immediately disappointed. Oops. The rest loved it and felt that all the actors did a wonderful job. My sister-in-law even got a bit defensive about the whole thing and refused to hear any more negative comments about such a great show. Blah.  In my opinion, if they ever make this movie again…hire my mom, fire Hathaway, skip the awkward scenes and maybe and a few lines where they actually talk!  Then I would enjoy myself.


Oh look, glee can sing better than Anne Hathaway... oh, just kidding... but I do like it a lot better.

And... for the record, Shaun hated it too. 

1 comment:

  1. Oh dear sister... you are so funny! I love your review. Scott and I went to see the movie a couple of weeks ago and LOVED it! I haven't seen the live show either but I enjoyed it nonetheless. Yes, I agree there are some scenes that really didn't need to be in there, but that's Hollywood for you! I think what made your experience worse was that it was so hot in the theater! Anyways... hope all is well in Georgia! Still can't believe you live all the way out there now!!!

    ReplyDelete